Because of the past, the future is brighter
On Saturday, June 19, 2021, the Italy Colored City Hall will be honored by the Texas Historical Commission by dedicating the historical marker placed in the front yard of 605 Williams. Everyone is invited to join at 2:00 pm followed by a reception at the Italy Community Center.
Local resident, Ms. Elmerine Bell, was instrumental in kicking off the research and dedicated herself to acquiring documents, photos, memorabilia and stories associated with the original Italy Colored City Hall. In 1953, a group of Black Leaders formed a committee to meet with the All-White City Hall. Their reasoning was to have their concerns heard. It came official and there were 2 councils representing the peoples of Italy. In the beginning, there were elections for both City Councils and all of Italy residents could vote on both ballots.
The building was constructed at 605 Williams Street and dedicated by first Black Mayor John Henry Farrow, Secretary Nelton Tarrent, Aldermen James (Jim) Hardeman, Matthew Sweatt, Walter Smith, Edd Lee Lewis and William Costonia Jennings.
Remembering and revisiting our past helps us remember and reflect upon our friends, family and our city today. To look at the past, helps us all build a better tomorrow.
Everyone is invited to the dedication and reception.